Liquid Telecom seeks to buy back Botswanan stake

29 October 2020

Liquid Telecom is proposing to buy back Botswana Power Corporation's (BPC's) stake in Liquid Telecom Botswana, according to reports.

The pan-African telecom firm has a controlling 57.5% in Liquid Telecom Botswana and the Competition and Consumer Authority is considering its proposal to acquire the other 42.5% currently held by BPC

The government has, to date, blocked plans by BPC and Liquid Telecom to become a major internet service provider in Botswana. The deal was backed by Econet Global Limited, which is the majority shareholder in Liquid Telecom Group.

Liquid Telecom's fibre optic network stretches over 50,000 km in nine African countries. The company has been seeking to establish a dominant presence in Botswana.